- Title: Secret Wisdom Teaching, Classifications of Humanity.
- Author: Arvindus.
- Publisher: Contemplationem.
- Copyright: © 2014 Arvindus, all rights reserved.
- Index: 20140408.
- Edition: html, first edition.
CLASSIFICATIONS OF HUMANITY
In the Secret Wisdom Teaching the emphasis is laid on the unity of humanity.1 Nevertheless is humanity there also placed in different categories or classes. The goal of this contemplation is to thematize these classes.
When a classification of humanity is undertaken it should never be lost from sight that basically humanity is one. And as one is it itself part of a larger classification, namely that of so called 'kingdoms'. The human kingdom has its place between the mineral kingdom, the vegetable kingdom, the animal kingdom and the spiritual kingdom.2 In this classification an evolutionary line can be recognized and we find such a line also in the classification of humanity in the Secret Wisdom Teaching. Humans are basically classified according their points in evolution. This may be considered as a classification on a vertical line. There is also a classification on a horizontal line, where humans are classified according to their ray types,3 but in this contemplation only the vertical line of classification shall be taken in consideration. Now quite a number of classifications on the vertical line of evolution are given in the Secret Wisdom Teaching. The most important deemed shall be mentioned here.
The classification according to the taken initiations is probably the most sharp and clear in its definitions. Humans are in this classification classified by their taken initiations. There are five of such initiations4 delivering us the categories of the uninitiated, first degree initiates, second degree initiates, third degree initiates and fourth degree initiates. (At the fifth initiation the human kingdom is left and the spiritual kingdom is entered).5 The uninitiated are humans who have not yet taken any initiation and they are developing towards the first initiation. First degree initiates are humans who have taken the first initiation, demonstrating a certain amount of control over their physical body.6 They are working towards the second initiation. Second degree initiates are humans who have taken the second initiation, demonstrating a certain amount of control over their emotions and astral body.7 They are working towards the third initiation. Third degree initiates are humans who have taken the third initiation, demonstrating a certain amount of control over their mind and mental body.8 They are working towards the fourth initiation. Fourth degree initiates are humans who have taken the fourth initiation, sacrificing their former mentioned bodies for the principle of the intuition, which they demonstrate to have mastered to a certain extend.9 They are working towards the fifth initiation at which, as mentioned, the human kingdom is left behind.
Humanity resides in three great halls according to the Secret Wisdom Teaching. Of these the first (counted from the bottom upwards) is the Hall of Ignorance. Humans residing in this hall are ruled by desire10 and are polarized in their personality.11 This is the class of humans who have not yet undergone any of the in the previous paragraph mentioned initiations.12 At the first initiation man passes from the Hall of Ignorance into the Hall of Learning. In this hall the intellect rules.13 This is the stage in which the soul or ego gains control over the threefold personality.14 This leads eventually to the third initiation in which man passes from the Hall of Learning into the Hall of Wisdom.15 In this hall the spirit rules and gains control,16, 17 leading to masterhood at the fifth initiation where the individual passes out of the human kingdom and enters the spiritual kingdom.18 To these classes or stages also the terms 'human life', 'mystic life' and 'occult life' can be applied.19
In the Secret Wisdom Teaching humans are also classified according to the type and development of their egoic body. The names applied refer to the lotus forms that egoic bodies have. (More about this has been written in another contemplation).20 The first mentioned are the bud egos which have not yet any petal unfolded. This class of humans does not find incarnation on our planet at this moment.21 Next are the Brahmic lotuses (also called 'third class creators' because they instinctively procreate) who have unfolded the first of the three outer ring of petals, namely the knowledge petal. They are mainly equipped for doing physical labor and for procreation of their class.22 Next come the lotuses of Brahman (or 'second class creators' because they procreate more out of love than the former class) who are unfolding the second, or love, petal of the outer ring. They are more evolved than the former class but still have a long way to go.23 Next in line are the primary lotuses who are opening the first (or knowledge) and third (or sacrifice) but not yet the second (or love) petal(s) of the outer ring. They are a so called "purely intellectual selfish scientific type" of human.24 More developed still are the lotuses of passion or desire. They have unfolded the first two (knowledge and love) petals of the outer ring and regard the bulk of the moderately successful and kind people in the world.25 The more evolved the egoic lotuses become the more complex their classification becomes due to the many varieties in unfoldment of the nine (or twelve) petalled lotus. General mentioned classes are the radiant lotuses, whose light is beginning to shine forth, lotuses with perfume, who have not yet unfolded the final ring of petals but who are nevertheless servers of the race, and lotuses of revelation who are beginning to show the jewel in the lotus. These classes regard advanced humanity, disciples and initiates.26
A kindred arrangement of lotus classes overviews humanity as lotuses of revelation, lotuses with perfume, radiant lotuses, lotuses wherein the flower is on the point of opening, lotuses of closed and sealed condition, the colourless lotuses and lotuses in bud.27
Another way in which humans are classified in the Secret Wisdom Teaching is by describing their different kinds of consciousnesses. The fist class to mention here is that of the least developed humans who live but whose consciousness sleeps.28 The second class of humans is only aware of the sensations of the physical plane and is still very animalistic in nature.29 Both these classes are relatively rare at this time. Humans of the third class have their awake animal nature linked to an awakened emotional nature and are thus swept by desire for physical satisfaction. Their consciousness corresponds to the old Lemurian consciousness.30 The consciousness of the fourth class corresponds to that of the Atlanteans and humans in this class are primarily emotional. Their physical body is slipping into unconsciousness but their mind nature is not yet much awakened. Millions of humans belonging to this class can be found in incarnation worldwide.31 The fifth class regards the average citizen of the modern world and is described as good, well-intentioned with an over-developed emotional nature oscillating between the senses and the mind. They are ruled by mass consciousness and orthodoxy.32 To the sixth class belong those who have developed their minds. They are the ones achieving success in life and are the world aspirants who are beginning to become aware of the ideal of service.33 The seventh class are those who can enter the probationary path. They are the mystics being aware of a higher self but as yet not able to realize unification with their soul. They are not yet able to control their minds.34 The eighth class is formed by those whose intelligence and love nature is awakening to such an extent that they can tread the path of discipleship as practical mystics and occultists.35 The ninth class consists of those initiates who have realized their soul nature. They are the true initiates (those who have taken the third initiation) of the world.36 As a tenth class are those mentioned who have achieved release from all limitations of the form nature. Individuals in this class are mentioned to be masters of life and perfected adepts.37 Thus this class does not belong to the human kingdom anymore but has its place in the spiritual kingdom.
At the moment of individualisation entrance is made into the human kingdom.38 These moments take place on different times and different places and humans presently incarnating in the fifth (or Aryan) root race39 on earth are in the Secret Wisdom Teaching also classified according to their time and place of individualisation. The least evolved are those who individualized during the fourth (or Atlantean) root race of our planet.40 Older, and thus more evolved, are those who individualized during the third (or Lemurian) root race of our planet. These two are the only classes having become human on our present planet.41 There are however also humans in incarnation who entered the human kingdom at the previous incarnation of our planetary logos; the moon chain.42 These older class is understandably more evolved than the previous ones.43 Another class of very advanced humans individualized in other (earth related) schemes and comes into incarnation on our earth to fill the vacuum of those who have found liberation.44 Finally there is also a class consisting of rare humans who come from still other schemes to our earthly spheres to do certain work. Often they do not incarnate in a physical body and work primarily on astral and mental levels.45
The Secret Wisdom Teaching uses a specific terminology to indicate different classes of humans. These terms are not explicitly defined in an overview or tabulation making right interpretations somewhat challenging. This challenge is enhanced when certain terms in one case seem to be used synonymic for a term and in another case distinctive. Although as much as possible the defining words of the Secret Wisdom Teaching are followed should the following classification nevertheless be taken as interpretive to a certain extend. Hopefully have the previous paragraphs prepared us for a right understanding.
The first term to be mentioned here regards 'animal man'. This term is mostly used for humanity at the time of individualisation in Lemurian times,46, 47 but also occurs to refer to man around the threshold of individualisation in general.48 Humans in this class live almost entirely instinctive. This goes also for the class termed as 'low grade human'.49 He has passed the threshold of individualisation already but is still very animalistic in nature.50 This class of humans is also indicated with terms such as 'unevolved man' and 'savage man'.51 A step forward in evolution has been made by the 'average human'. Humans in this class live predominantly in their emotional nature52 and are also indicated by the terms 'ordinary people'53 and 'the masses (of people)'.54 Next on the line of evolution comes the class of the 'developed man'. Humans in this class have developed and use predominantly their mind nature.55 This class is also indicated with terms such as 'intelligentsia',56 'intellectuals'57 and 'high grade human'.58 A step ahead still seem to be the so called 'spiritual people'.59 They have shifted their mind focus from selfishness to unselfishness, or from their personality to their soul.60 When eventually a link is established between the personality and the soul the term 'aspirant' is applied.61 This term is generally applied starting from humans upon the probationary path for discipleship62 but is more strictly applied to those having undergone the first initiation.63 There are more detailed terms used for humans in the various stages from the probationary path onwards (such as 'little chela')64 but these shall not be considered here. Another term applied to this class of humans is 'probationary disciple'.65 The next class then logically is that of 'disciples'. One does not become a disciple with a certain initiation but at least the first initiation should have been taken.66 When a disciple takes the second initiation also the term 'probationary initiate' is applied.67 This until at the third initiation (and first major initiation)68 he enters the class of 'initiates'.69 At the fifth initiation the initiate becomes a Master, leaving the human kingdom and entering the spiritual kingdom.70
Although in the Secret Wisdom Teaching the unity of humanity is emphasized are different classifications of that one humanity given. We set out to contemplate several of these classes. Six of these were thematized. First the most sharply defined classification was explicated, namely that of the five initiations. The classification according to the three halls was still very sharply defined too. Less sharply defined was the classification of the eight categories of egoic lotuses, and sharp distinctions faded perhaps even more in the classification of the nine described consciousnesses (ten if we include the described consciousness of the perfected adept who left the human kingdom and entered the spiritual). Next we found humanity classified by its five different roots of individualisation. And finally an eightfold classification according to technical terms was given.
All of the above information may be a bit overwhelming and for clarity a general overview shall be given in figure 1. This figure should not be read as a strict tabulation and for this reason horizontal borders have been left out. A strict reading would for instance bring one to the conclusion that fourth grade initiates consist only of humans who individualized outside our earth scheme, and this is not true. Hopefully do the places of the different categories nevertheless give a general but good overview of the different classes of humans, their place in the human evolutionary plan, and their relation to each other. May we all soon find ourselves classified in the highest class, and beyond.
- Alice A. Bailey, 'The Externalisation of the Hierarchy', in: Twenty-Four Books of Esoteric Philosophy, (CD-ROM, Release 3), Lucis Trust, London / New York, 2001, Section Two, The Coming World Order, III. "The world is one world. Humanity is one unit in the evolutionary process."
- Alice A. Bailey, 'Initiation, Humand and Solar', in: Twenty-Four Books of Esoteric Philosophy, (CD-ROM, Release 3), Lucis Trust, London / New York, 2001, Ch. XV, The Solar Words. "By their means the five kingdoms of nature on the evolutionary arc came into being:—
a. The mineral kingdom.
b. The vegetable kingdom.
c. The animal kingdom.
d. The human kingdom.
e. The spiritual kingdom."
- Alice A. Bailey, 'Esoteric Psychology, Volume I, A Treatise on the Seven Rays, Volume I', in: Twenty-Four Books of Esoteric Philosophy, (CD-ROM, Release 3), Lucis Trust, London / New York, 2001, Section Two, Ch. I, I. "It will be clear that each of the kingdoms—elemental, mineral, vegetable, and animal as well as the human—is divided into seven primary types or rays, […]."
- Alice A. Bailey, 'Letters on Occult Meditation', in: Twenty-Four Books of Esoteric Philosophy, (CD-ROM, Release 3), Lucis Trust, London / New York, 2001, Glossary. "Initiate. […]. The Path of Initiation is the final stage of the path of evolution trodden by man, and is divided into five stages, called the Five Initiations."
- Ibidem, Letter VIII, Who are the Masters? "A Master of the Wisdom is One Who has undergone the fifth initiation. That really means that His consciousness has undergone such an expansion that it now includes the fifth or spiritual kingdom. He has worked His way through the four lower kingdoms:—the mineral, the vegetable, the animal and the human—and has, through meditation and service, expanded His centre of consciousness till it now includes the plane of spirit."
- 'Initiation, Human and Solar', Ch. IX, The first two initiations. "At the first initiation, the control of the Ego over the physical body must have reached a high degree of attainment."
- Ibidem. "Just as, at the first initiation, the control of the dense physical has been demonstrated, so here the control of the astral is similarly demonstrated."
- Ibidem, Ch. IX, The succeeding two initiations. "The initiate learns to control his mental vehicle; […]."
- 'Letters on Occult Meditation', Letter X, The refining of the emotional body. "The intuition (or buddhi) being the unifying principle and thus welding all, at the fourth initiation the lower vehicles go, and the adept stands in his intuitional body, and creates from thence his body of manifestation."
- Alice A. Bailey, 'A Treatise on Cosmic Fire', in: Twenty-Four Books of Esoteric Philosophy, (CD-ROM, Release 3), Lucis Trust, London / New York, 2001, Section Two, D, II, 3, d, (c). "Within the Hall of Ignorance kama-manas rules. […]."
- 'Initiation, Human and Solar', Ch. II, Four words defined. "In the Hall of Ignorance the form controls, and the material side of things has the predominance. Man is there polarised in the personality or lower self."
- 'Secret Wisdom Teaching, The Egoic Lotus', Index: 120130524, The Evolution of the Egoic Lotus, Unfoldment.
- 'A Treatise on Cosmic Fire', Section Two, D, II, 3, d, (c). "[…]. Within the Hall of Learning intellect rules and seeks to guide."
- 'Initiation, Human and Solar', Ch. II, Four words defined. "In the Hall of Learning the higher self, or Ego, strives to dominate that form until gradually a point of equilibrium is reached where the man is controlled entirely by neither."
- See note 12.
- 'A Treatise on Cosmic Fire', Section Two, D, II, 3, d, (c). "[…].Within the Hall of Wisdom the Spirit rules; the One within the lesser ones assumes supreme control."
- 'Initiation, Human and Solar', Ch. II, Four words defined. "Later the Ego controls more and more, until in the Hall of Wisdom it dominates in the three lower worlds, and in increasing degree the inherent divinity assumes the mastery."
- 'A Treatise on Cosmic Fire', Section Two, D, II, 3, d, (e). "In the Hall of Wisdom the initiate comes to the knowledge of the first great aspect of energy, the dynamic use of will in sacrifice, and to him is then committed the key to the three fold mystery of energy. Of this energy in its threefold aspect he became aware in the other two halls. At the third, fourth and fifth Initiations the three keys to the three mysteries are given to him."
- Alice A. Bailey, ' The Light of the Soul', in: Twenty-Four Books of Esoteric Philosophy, (CD-ROM, Release 3), Lucis Trust, London / New York, 2001, Book II, Sl. 24. "The terms human life, mystic life and occult life apply to these three stages."
- 'Secret Wisdom Teaching, The Egoic Lotus'.
- 'A Treatise on Cosmic Fire', Section Two, D, II, 3, d, (c). "Bud egos. Our planetary scheme, being at the midway point in its evolution, there are therefore no unopened "buds" strictly speaking. All the egoic lotuses have at least one petal open."
- Ibidem. "Brahmic lotuses in which the first or knowledge petal is fully unfolded. They are so called as they represent on the physical plane the fully active intelligent unity, the man of small mental development, the lowest type of workers, agriculturists, and peasants on every continent. They are also called "third class creators," as they express themselves only through the act of physical creation on the physical plane, and their function is largely to provide vehicles for those of their own group."
- Ibidem. "The lotuses of Brahman, in which the second petal is showing signs of opening and the second aspect in its lowest manifestation is showing signs of demonstration. […]. They are called "second class creators," for though they demonstrate on the physical plane in the act of physical creation, yet they are more swayed by love than by animal instinct as in the first case."
- Ibidem. Primary lotuses. […].They are a group a good deal more advanced than the earlier classes but need much to develop the second petal. With them the first and the third petals in the first circle are opening, but the middle petal is yet shut. The middle tier also shows no signs of vitality.[…]. They may be seen in the purely intellectual selfish scientific type.
- Ibidem. "Lotuses of passion or desire. They are so called because their fundamental nature is embodied love in some one or other form. The bulk of the Monads of Love are among this large group and they are to be seen incarnating in the bulk of the well-to-do, kindly people of the world. […]. They have two petals unfolded and the third is for them at this time the object of their attention."
- Ibidem. "When we come to the second subplane of the mental plane (the plane whereon the egoic bodies of advanced humanity, of disciples, and of initiates are found) the method of grouping will be according to:
c. Department (whether under the Manu, the Mahachohan or the Bodhisattva on our earth scheme or their analogies on other schemes).
d. The Master's group.
These egoic lotuses are all organised, and have a number of petals unfolded whilst some are in the final stages of development.
They have also been grouped under the following three heads:
Lotuses of revelation. Those in which the "jewel" is just about to be revealed.
Lotuses with perfume. Those whose occult "smell" or aroma is permeating their environment. They are those Egos who have not yet completely unfolded the final tier of petals, but whose lives are of magnetic force in the three worlds, and whose careers are distinguished by altruistic service.
Radiant lotuses, or those whose light is beginning to shine forth as lights in a dark place."
- Alice A. Bailey, 'Esoteric Psychology, Volume II, A Treatise on the Seven Rays, Volume II', in: Twenty-Four Books of Esoteric Philosophy, (CD-ROM, Release 3), Lucis Trust, London / New York, 2001, Ch. I, III.
"1. Lotuses of revelation.
2. Lotuses with perfume.
3. Radiant lotuses.
4. Lotuses wherein the flower is on the point of opening.
5. Lotuses of closed and sealed condition.
6. The colourless lotuses.
7. Lotuses in bud."
- Ibidem. "1. The souls who live but whose consciousness sleeps. These are the dormant human beings whose intelligence is of such a low order, and their awareness of themselves and of life is so dim and nebulous, that only the lowest forms of human existence come into this category. Racially, nationally, and tribally they do not exist as pure types, but occasionally such a person emerges in the slums of our great cities. They are like a "throw back" and never appear among what are called the natural savages, or the peasantry."
- Ibidem. "2. The souls who are simply aware of physical plane life and of sensation. These people are slow, inert, inarticulate, bewildered by their environment, but they are not bewildered, as are the more advanced and emotional types, by events. They have no sense of time or of purpose; they can seldom be trained along any mental line, and they very rarely exhibit skill in any direction. They can dig and carry, under direction; they eat, sleep and procreate, following the natural instincts of the animal body. Emotionally, however, they are asleep, and mentally they are totally unawakened. These too are relatively rare, though several thousands of them can be found upon our planet. They can be recognised through their complete incapacity to respond to emotional and mental training and culture."
- Ibidem. "3. The souls who are beginning to integrate and who are emotionally and psychically alive. In them, of course, the animal nature is awake and the desire nature is becoming rampant. These people are to be found in all races to a small extent, and a number of them can be found among the negroes, which race contains a large number of those who are today relatively children. These are child souls, and though the mental equipment is there and some of them can be trained to use it, the preponderance of the life emphasis is entirely upon physical activity as it is motivated by the desire for satisfaction of some kind, and by a shallow "wish-life" or desire nature, almost entirely oriented towards the physical life. These souls are the modern correspondences to the old Lemurian cultures."
- Ibidem. "4. The souls who are primarily emotional. The mind nature is not functioning strongly, and only rarely does it swing into activity, and the physical body is slipping steadily into the realm of the unconscious. In every race and nation there are millions of such souls in existence. They may be regarded as the modern Atlanteans."
- Ibidem. "5. Those souls who can now be classed as intelligent human beings, capable of mental application, if trained, and showing that they can think when need arises. They are still, nevertheless, predominantly emotional. They constitute the bulk of modern humanity at this time. They are the average citizens of our modern world,—good, well-intentioned, capable of intense emotional activity, with the feeling nature almost over-developed, and oscillating between the life of the senses and that of the mind. They swing between the poles of experience. Their lives are spent in an astral turmoil, but they have steadily increasing interludes wherein the mind can momentarily make itself felt, and thus at need effect important decisions. These are the nice good people, who are, nevertheless, largely controlled by the mass consciousness, because they are relatively unthinking. They can be regimented and standardised with facility by orthodox religion and government and are the "sheep" of the human family."
- Ibidem. "6. The souls who think, and who are minds. These are steadily increasing in number and gaining in power as our educational processes and our scientific discoveries bring results, and expand human awareness. They constitute the cream of the human family, and are the people who are achieving success in some department of human life. They are writers, artists, thinkers in various fields of human knowledge and aspiration, politicians, religious leaders, scientists, skilled workers and artisans, and all those who, though in the front rank, yet take ideas and propositions and work with them for the ultimate benefit of the human family. They are the world aspirants, and those who are beginning to get the ideal of service into their consciousness."
- Ibidem. "7. Those souls whose sense of awareness on the physical plane is now of such an order that they can pass on to the Probationary Path. They are the mystics, conscious of duality, torn between the pairs of opposites, but who are yet unable to rest until they are polarised in the soul. These are the sensitive, struggling people, who long for release from failure and from existence in the world today. Their mind natures are alive and active but they cannot yet control them as they should and the higher illumination remains as yet a joyous hope and final possibility."
- Ibidem. "8. Souls whose intelligence and love nature is becoming so awakened and integrated that they can begin to tread the Path of Discipleship. They are the practical mystics, or the occultists, of modern times."
- Ibidem. "9. The souls who are initiate into the mysteries of the kingdom of God. These are souls who are not only conscious of their vehicles of expression, the integrated personality, and conscious also of themselves as souls, but they know, past all controversy, that there is no such thing as "my soul and your soul," but simply "the Soul". They know this not only as a mental proposition, and as a sensed reality, but also as a fact in their own consciousness."
- Ibidem. "10. The souls who have achieved release from all the limitations of the form nature and who dwell eternally in the consciousness of the One Soul, withdrawn from identification with any aspiration of the form life, no matter how highly developed. They can and do use the form at will for the purposes of the general good. These are the Masters of Life, the perfected adepts."
- 'Letters on Occult Meditation', Letter III, 4. "[…]. As to period of individualisation or of entrance into the human kingdom."
- 'Secret Wisdom Teaching, Cycles', Index: 20140313, Humanity.
- 'A Treatise on Cosmic Fire', Section Two, D, II, 3, d, (c). "It might be briefly stated that the egoic groups in connection with our planet may be roughly grouped according to the stage of lotus organisation, as follows:
a. Egos who were produced through the individualisation process in Lemurian days. They are the true Earth humanity, along with the second group.
b. Egos who have individualised during the Atlantean root-race until the door was shut.
c. Egos who have "come-in" from the moon chain and who are much more evolved than the earth humanity.
d. Egos who have been swept in since Atlantean days to take the place of those Egos who have achieved liberation, and whose causal bodies have disappeared, or whose lotuses have "died out" leaving a vacuum in force substance which must be supplied and filled. They usually come in from one of two schemes:
1. From the scheme embodied by the polar opposite of our planetary Logos.
2. From that scheme which is allied with these two in forming a systemic triangle.
These cases are necessarily rare at present but will become more frequent as more and more of the human race take the fourth Initiation.
e. Certain rare Egos or lotuses from schemes not enumerated in the above triplicity. They are usually only brought in so that they may perfect certain developments in their own nature, to carry out experimental work in connection with the deva kingdom, or to produce certain group results desired by the planetary Logos. They frequently do not descend into dense physical incarnation but work primarily on mental and astral levels, returning to their own spheres eventually for the final stages of liberation."
- Ibidem, Section One, C, I, 2. "The MOON once was the body of expression for one of the Logoi; the Earth now is, and the cycles change continuously."
- See note 40.
- 'The Externalisation of the Hierarchy', Section Three, The Task of Implementing the Will-to-Good. "1. At the time of the individualisation of animal-man when the mind principle was implanted. This was the birth hour of the human soul."
- 'Esoteric Psychology, Volume II', Ch. I, III. "In Lemurian days, individualisation took place because it was the third root race and the fourth round."
- Ibidem, Ch. II, 4, a. "During the processes of evolution, the sacral centre passes through the stages of automatic unconscious use, such as you find in purely animal man; […]."
- 'A Treatise on White Magic', Rule Ten, Astrology and the Energies. "The only horoscope, which is basically and almost infallibly correct is that of the entirely low grade human being who lives entirely below the diaphragm and is governed by his animal nature alone."
- Alice A. Bailey, 'Esoteric Healing, A Treatise on the Seven Rays, Volume IV', in: Twenty-Four Books of Esoteric Philosophy, (CD-ROM, Release 3), Lucis Trust, London / New York, 2001, Part Two, Ch. V, 1, The Art of Dying. "[…], whilst the other concerns the low grade human being who has scarcely advanced beyond the animal stage."
- Alice A. Bailey, 'Discipleship in the New Age, Volume I', in: Twenty-Four Books of Esoteric Philosophy, (CD-ROM, Release 3), Lucis Trust, London / New York, 2001, Section Three, Discipleship and Its End, Part III. "1. Unevolved or savage man responds simply to prana or physical energy, vitalising the appetites of the lower nature, developing the instincts and thus laying the foundation of a physical vehicle as the outer garment of the soul."
- Ibidem. "2. Average man is impulsed by desire which is an energy, emanating from world desire and which—developing or organising the astral body—generates desire-energy."
- 'Esoteric Healing', Part One, Ch. I, 1, A.
"1. […]. Occultist. Initiate. Master.
2. […]. Aspirant. Disciple. Mystic.
3. […]. All types of Spiritual People.
4. […].Creative Artists. All advanced humanity. The Intelligentsia.
5. […]. Average humanity. Ordinary people.
6. […]. Low grade animal type of men. […]."
- Alice A. Bailey, 'From Intellect to Intuition', in: Twenty-Four Books of Esoteric Philosophy, (CD-ROM, Release 3), Lucis Trust, London / New York, 2001, Ch. Four. "The masses of the people, polarized in their desire nature, […]."
- 'Discipleship in the New Age, Volume I', Section Three, Discipleship and Its End, Part III. "3. The developed man, with an integrated personality, gradually brings the etheric body under the control of mental energy and his physical plane activity is not then so much implemented by instinct or desire as by thought energy, dedicated to and expressing the nature of the man's plan."
- See note 53.
- 'The Externalisation of the Hierarchy', Section One, Seed Groups in the New Age.
||responsive to mind
- 'From Intellect to Intuition', Ch. Three. "As a result of their work, he is now an intelligent, active, high-grade human being."
- See note 53.
- 'The Externalisation of the Hierarchy', Section Two, The World Crisis from Hierarchical Viewpoint. "One of the things which the spiritual leaders of humanity have sought to do is to bring clearly to the attention of men the basic duality which is found in the world today—the duality of selfish, material living and that of unselfish spiritual objectives. This is now clearly defined. The second stage of their task now lies ahead, and that is so to stimulate the vision of men everywhere that—beginning with the intelligentsia—they can consciously take their stand under one or other of the two banners, and so know what they are doing and why."
- 'Discipleship in the New Age, Volume I', Section Two. "The mark of the true aspirant is that all the three parts of the lower nature are linked more or less to the higher, thus producing a unity."
- 'Esoteric Healing', Part One, Ch. I, 1. "With the intelligentsia of the world and the aspirant (those ready for, or already on, the probationary path) […]."
- 'Discipleship in the New Age, Volume I, Section Three, Discipleship and Its End, Part IV. "All true aspirants have taken the first initiation."
- Ibidem. "This one, called Little Chelaship, is related to the first initiation."
- Alice A. Bailey, 'Discipleship in the New Age, Volume II', in: Twenty-Four Books of Esoteric Philosophy, (CD-ROM, Release 3), Lucis Trust, London / New York, 2001, Section Three, Part VIII."These three are that of the probationary disciple or aspirant, […]."
- Ibidem, Section One, Group Instruction. "Every accepted disciple is within the periphery of the Hierarchy and of its influence, and—as I have frequently pointed out—all have in some past life taken the first initiation."
- 'Discipleship in the New Age, Volume I', Section Three, Discipleship and Its End, Part V. "Disciples who have taken the second initiation are regarded as "probationary initiates," and only when they have taken the third initiation are they truly initiate from the standpoint of the Hierarchy."
- Alice A. Bailey, 'The Rays and the Initiations', in: Twenty-Four Books of Esoteric Philosophy, (CD-ROM, Release 3), Lucis Trust, London / New York, 2001, Part One, Rule Eleven. "[…]; the third initiation is technically regarded as the first major initiation."
- See note 67.
- See note 5.
- 'Secret Wisdom Teaching, Cycles', Index: 20140313.
- 'Secret Wisdom Teaching, The Egoic Lotus', Index: 120130524.
- Alice A. Bailey, 'A Treatise on Cosmic Fire', in: Twenty-Four Books of Esoteric Philosophy, (CD-ROM, Release 3), Lucis Trust, London / New York, 2001.
- Alice A. Bailey, 'A Treatise on White Magic', in: Twenty-Four Books of Esoteric Philosophy, (CD-ROM, Release 3), Lucis Trust, London / New York, 2001.
- Alice A. Bailey, 'Discipleship in the New Age, Volume I', in: Twenty-Four Books of Esoteric Philosophy, (CD-ROM, Release 3), Lucis Trust, London / New York, 2001.
- Alice A. Bailey, 'Discipleship in the New Age, Volume II', in: Twenty-Four Books of Esoteric Philosophy, (CD-ROM, Release 3), Lucis Trust, London / New York, 2001.
- Alice A. Bailey, 'Esoteric Healing, A Treatise on the Seven Rays, Volume IV', in: Twenty-Four Books of Esoteric Philosophy, (CD-ROM, Release 3), Lucis Trust, London / New York, 2001.
- Alice A. Bailey, 'Esoteric Psychology, Volume I, A Treatise on the Seven Rays, Volume I', in: Twenty-Four Books of Esoteric Philosophy, (CD-ROM, Release 3), Lucis Trust, London / New York, 2001.
- Alice A. Bailey, 'Esoteric Psychology, Volume II, A Treatise on the Seven Rays, Volume II', in: Twenty-Four Books of Esoteric Philosophy, (CD-ROM, Release 3), Lucis Trust, London / New York, 2001.
- Alice A. Bailey, 'From Intellect to Intuition', in: Twenty-Four Books of Esoteric Philosophy, (CD-ROM, Release 3), Lucis Trust, London / New York, 2001.
- Alice A. Bailey, 'Initiation, Humand and Solar', in: Twenty-Four Books of Esoteric Philosophy, (CD-ROM, Release 3), Lucis Trust, London / New York, 2001.
- Alice A. Bailey, 'Letters on Occult Meditation', in: Twenty-Four Books of Esoteric Philosophy, (CD-ROM, Release 3), Lucis Trust, London / New York, 2001.
- Alice A. Bailey, ' The Externalisation of the Hierarchy', in: Twenty-Four Books of Esoteric Philosophy, (CD-ROM, Release 3), Lucis Trust, London / New York, 2001.
- Alice A. Bailey, ' The Light of the Soul', in: Twenty-Four Books of Esoteric Philosophy, (CD-ROM, Release 3), Lucis Trust, London / New York, 2001.
- Alice A. Bailey, 'The Rays and the Initiations', in: Twenty-Four Books of Esoteric Philosophy, (CD-ROM, Release 3), Lucis Trust, London / New York, 2001.
- Figure 1: Classifications of Humanity.
Classifications of Humanity
|Fourth grade initiates
||Hall of Wisdom
||Lotuses of revelation
||Other scheme individuals
||Earth related scheme individuals
|Third grade initiates
||Moon chain individuals
|Second grade initiates
||Hall of Learning
||Lotuses with perfume
|First grade initiates
||Hall of Ignorance
|Lotuses of passion
||Emotionally oscillating between senses and mind
|Lotuses of Brahman
||Desire for physical satisfaction
||Low grade humans
||Aware of physical plane sensations