Cucumber Mung Lentil Soup
Title: Recipes, Cucumber Mung Lentil Soup.
- Author: Arvindus.
- Publisher: Contemplationem.
- Copyright: © 2017 Arvindus, all rights reserved.
- Index: 20170523.
- Edition: html, first edition.
CUCUMBER MUNG LENTIL SOUP
In India and other regions lentils and lentil soups are known under the name ‘dāl’. They are often eaten with rice or bread dishes. This lentil soup can however also be served on itself.
The ingredients are fit for two portions.
- 1 Cup (approximately 100 gram) mung lentils.
- ¾ Litre water (approximately).
- 1 Cucumber.
- 1 Teaspoon grated ginger.
- 1 Teaspoon turmeric powder.
- ½ Spoon clarified butter or sesame oil.
- ½ Teaspoon cumin seeds / powder.
- ½ Teaspoon asafoetida powder.
- ¼ Teaspoon chili powder.
- ¼ Teaspoon black pepper.
- Juice from ½ small or ¼ large lemon.
- 1 Spoon coriander leafs.
- ¾ Teaspoon rock salt.
- Cut the cucumber in cubes.
- Wash the mung lentils.
- Add the water and bring it to a boil.
- Scoop off the foam when it appears.
- Add the ginger and turmeric powder.
- Let the lentils in the water simmer on low heat until they start to become soft a little.
- Add the cucumber.
- Simmer further until the cucumber is done and the lentils are fully soft.
- Mash the whole with a (hand) blender.
- Heat the clarified butter or oil.
- Add the cumin seeds / powder, asafoetida powder and chili powder.
- Fry for a few moments and pour the spice mixture into the lentil soup.
- Put the heat low, add the black pepper, lemon juice, coriander leafs and rock salt, and stir to mix everything.
- Let the soup soak in the spices for a few minutes before serving.