Vegetable Rice with Caraway, Cumin and Nutmeg
Title: Recipes, Vegetable Rice with Caraway, Cumin and Nutmeg.
- Author: Arvindus.
- Publisher: Contemplationem.
- Copyright: © 2017 Arvindus, all rights reserved.
- Index: 20170629.
- Edition: html, first edition.
VEGETABLE RICE WITH CARAWAY, CUMIN AND NUTMEG
The taste of the used spices is strong so they should be dosed with care.
The ingredients are fit for two portions.
- 2 Cups (approximately 150 gram) (whole grain) bhasmati rice, or a similar rice.
- 2 Cups of mixed vegetables like for instance carrot, cauliflower, courgette, potato or pumpkin.
- 2 Spoons clarified butter or sesame oil.
- 1 Bay leaf.
- ¼ Tea spoon black mustard seeds.
- ¼ Tea spoon caraway seeds.
- ¼ Tea spoon cumin seeds.
- ¼ Tea spoon chili powder.
- ¼ Tea spoon nutmeg.
- ¼ Tea spoon black pepper.
- 1 Spoon coriander leafs.
- 1 Tea spoon rock salt.
- ½ Litre water.
- Wash and soak the rice for approximately 30 minutes. Then let it leak in a sieve until (almost) dry.
- Cut the vegetables in cubes of 1 or ½ centimetre.
- Heat the clarified butter or sesame oil.
- Add the black mustard seeds. Immediately cover with the lid and let the seeds pop.
- Decrease the heat a bit and add the bay leaf, caraway seeds, cumin seeds and chili powder. Fry for about 10 seconds.
- Add the vegetables and stir-fry them for a couple of minutes.
- Add the rice and stir-fry for a minute or two.
- Add the water and bring to a boil.
- Add the nutmeg and black pepper, cover the pot for ¾ with the lid and let the whole simmer on a low flame.
- When the rice and vegetables are done the water should be evaporated. If the water is not yet evaporated remove the lid and put the heat a bit higher.
- Put the heat low and add the coriander leafs and salt.